The Internet Governance Caucus has been constituted as a part of the civil society activities at WSIS, with the purpose of hosting discussions on civil society positions about broader Internet Governance matters, including:
- the actual definition of the Internet Governance concept itself;
- the models through which Internet Governance should be carried out;
- policy matters related to the technical coordination of the Internet, including IP addresses, domain names, and the root server system;
- policy matters related to granting fair access to the network, such as international peering and interconnection policies;
- policy matters related to usage control over the Internet, such as crime prevention and fight against spam.